Saturday, July 6, 2013

The Year of the Great Seventh by Teresa Orts

The Year of the Great Seventh
The Year of the Great Seventh
by Teresa Orts
Source: ARC Review Copy
Format: Paperback
Expected publication: July 6th 2013 by Drayton Press
 
Goodreads Synopsis:
Sophie has always felt out of step—an outsider, even amongst friends in her high school with all the hype about celebrity culture. Her life in L.A. seems to have been already written for her, but when her junior year starts, it all takes a drastic turn. When she crosses paths with the school's heartthrob, Nate Werner, they fall for each other in a way neither can understand. What they don’t know is that by giving in to their desires, they are unlocking an ancient Egyptian prophecy that threatens to return Earth to the dark ages.

To undo the curse, Nate and Sophie embark on an adventure that takes them across the country. But their quest is not only to save the world as they know it. It is also a fight for their very survival. Behind the scenes, there are those that are counting on them to fail.

My Thoughts:
I see "curse" or "outsider" and BAM! I'm hooked. I have to read the book because I know it'll be entertaining and it'll make me curious to see what curse the character has and how they are going to go about breaking it. Teresa Orts, you definitely did not disappoint!

I'll be honest and say that the cover was the first thing that attracted me to the book. I mean look at it! Then I look at the title "Hmm..wonder what the connection is to the Great Seventh." Then I read the synopsis and curse and outsider were there and I knew I had to read to find out what was going to happen. I haven't read too many books where ancient Eyptian prophecy reigns so that sealed the deal.

One thing that I absolutely loved was that Sophie is into history! Total history nerd! Reminded me so much of my AP US History teacher. SO much alike. I always loved that class because he made it seem so alive and always had the every question I asked and I feel like Sophie is the same. She gets excited about it. Brains and beauty. We don't get stuck with the same type of girl you usually see that is super smart and is a total snob for it or a pretty girl who knows she is and throws it in everyone's face in chance she has. Type of friend I'd be happy to hang out in museums with. Nate, on the other hand, oh what can I say about Nate. He is stuck with this horrendous curse and he's trying to hard to do the right thing but you have to remember that love can't be pushed away. It's just not something that can be done. Even though he's stuck this way he's going to fight and find a way out. I like his determination. It's inspiring.

Don't let the first couple chapters think this is going to be a slow book. Oh no! The Year of the Great Seventh will have you flipping pages so fast people will think you're actually trying to fan yourself! I thought "Oh, I'll read a few chapters and go to sleep." Hah! I got halfway through the book when I noticed the time! THAT'S when I had to put it down and actually go to sleep. And I was getting to the really good parts!

Ok so there's this awesomely funny part involving an eraser that makes me laugh every single time I think about it. Here, I'll be nice and give a tiny bit of it.
"Suddenly, something hit me in the back of the head, bringing me back to the real world. I looked at the floor to find a piece of pink pencil eraser."
 *laughs* Every time!
This book is great! Spectacular work done by Teresa for her first book. Read it!
I've rated The Year of the Great Seventh

Teresa OrtsTeresa Orts studied economics and went on to work in the financial industry. She lives in London with her husband and son and this is her first novel. If you want to know more about her, please visit her website www.teresaorts.com
Buy: 
Author: Goodreads | Website | Facebook | Twitter

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...