Thursday, May 23, 2013

Altered (Revelations of the Evolved #1) by Shawnda Currie

Altered (Revelations of the Evolved #1) 
 by Shawnda Currie
Read in April 2013
Read to Review
Pages: 214
Reviewer: Bobbi

GoodReads Synopsis:
Abandoned by her family, Lacey is sent to a juvenile detention center known as Clear Waters. Her teen years don't look promising until she is befriended by a mysterious stranger named Taylor, a gorgeous guy whose captivating eyes seem to stare into her soul. Convinced she is in danger at Clear Waters, Lacey joins Taylor in a daring escape. (edited).

My Thoughts:

The author, Shawnda Currie, was nice enough to provide me with me copy in exchange for a truthful review of her story. I am so glad I asked for a chance to review her book because I found a new series to read! 

When I first started Altered I assumed this was going to different from the normal books I read, non-parnormal, non vampire, ect. The first few chapters explain the life of the main character, Lacey. Her father re-married to a horrible women who Lacey suspects is slowly trying to push her out of the family picture. Right away I thought this story was going to be a troubled teen story. Sure enough my suspicions were right because she is sent away to a Juvenile Corrections Facility, Clear Waters. Clear Waters is nothing what it seems. It almost seems like an actual prison for "troubled teens" rather than a rehabilitation type center.

Now for those who follow my reviews, you know that  I am an absolute sucker for love stories!! My number one reason for liking Altered so much is because of the adorable love story between Lacey and Taylor :D Taylor's persoanliatiy radiates kindness, yet when push comes to shove he can handle his own against whatever come his way. A perfect combination of kindness and strength!

Aside from the love story that is intertwined with the plot, it turns out Altered is not just a "troubled teen" story...Lacey ends up having special powers that allow her to do some pretty awesome things! Lacey can move things from her mind and communicate with others telepathically, how cool!

Love story? Awesome powers? Sold! :]

Altered is told in 1st person, which is my preferred because you get great insight to the character through various narrations and monologues. While I really enjoyed Altered (and totally recommend for you to read) a few things sort of bugged me. Certain parts of the story could have been elaborated more.The book is only 214 pages, and while the author does a great job telling the story within that amount of pages, as a reader I would have liked the story to be a little longer. Lacey's time at Clear Waters could have been a tad longer. I wanted to find out more about the mysteries of Clear Waters, and I can't help but wonder about what happened to the friends Lacey made while staying there. Maybe book 2 will explain :] A times in the book, Lacey has flashbacks from her past. Those scenes were great!  I do hope book 2 continues those and has more of them.

Altered  is a very fun, quick read that I 100% recommend. Shawnda Currie is an up and coming author, and I only expect great things from this series!

4/5 birdies!

<3 Bobbi 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...