Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Mackenzie Legacy by Derrolyn Anderson

Title: The Mackenzie Legacy
Author: Derrolyn Anderson
Published: April 2013
Series: The Athena Effect #2
Genre: Romance, YA, paranormal
Reviewer: Hannah

Synopsis (Goodreads):

As their story continues, Calvin and Caledonia find themselves madly in love, on the run, and nearly out of money. When Cal stumbles upon a way to cash in on Cali's powers, their life on the road becomes a life of leisure. Despite the easy money and newfound luxury, Caledonia's conscience begins to trouble her.

A disturbing warming only serves to confirm her misgivings, making her question her purpose in life. Finally, a shocking discovery about the true nature of her powers points the way forward, sending the two Cals on a dangerous rescue mission.

Caledonia tries her best to right the wrongs of the past, but will she only end up provoking new and even more dangerous enemies?

Review:

I reviewed the first book in Derrolyn Anderson's paranormal romance series a few months ago, if you haven't read that yet, you should probably go do that, so as not to be confused out of your mind by this review. (Click to go on a magical adventure beyond the valley of rainbows and gumdrops. If not that, then at least do it for the free waffles. C'mon. Nobody hates waffles.)

Ahhhhh....so the time has come. The Mackenzie Legacy is upon us, peoples!! Prepare yourselves! Don those helmets! Snarf that mutton! Finish that sit-up! Polish that sword (get it squeaky clean)!

I'm just gonna say it straight: I liked it. Derrolyn's writing is great, her story is structured and well-paced. Bring on the next one!

The Mackenzie Legacy mainly follows Cali and Calvin as they're on the road, getting cozy in motel rooms and abusing The Athena Effect for gain. I'm not going to do a story breakdown though, because some serious schlit goes down and I ain't intending to spoil nothing. (<--Can that be a double negative? Do I indeed intend to spoil something? Stay tuned!)

I like how this story has a little bit of everything in it. It's a paranormal romance, a sci-fi thriller, a crime drama...it'll satisfy most any genre craving you may be having (unless you like poetic westerns, in which case, STOP READING NOW, because there's only disappointment and despair ahead for you. Go now, my dear reader, and wrap yourself in the warm comforts of chocolate and Buffy reruns...)

I think the biggest thing I didn't like about the book was how much of a love-slave Calvin was. You know that kind of character. They're so madly, deeply, truly in love that they'll sacrifice their body, soul, and modern comfort of the toilet to protect and cherish their eternal loved one.

I mean, don't get me wrong, wuvv, twuuue wuvv (reference photo A on the right please) is a beautiful thing. In fact, I appreciate a hero and heroine who can fully appreciate each other.

But come ON. As much as Calvin loves Cali, as much as he'd die for her, he's still his own person. He has his own life to think about. I mean, just imagine it: being with Cali now is incredible and breathtaking. I believe that he'll love her forever. But eventually he'll get restless if his goal in life is aiding in Cali's life goals. Honestly, I think he'd develop a "sidekick complex" and start feeling like his dreams and aspirations always come second to Cali's.

But hey, maybe I'm overthinking things.

Besides that, I really enjoyed everything else. As I said before, Derrolyn just has a way with writing. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something about her stories that distinguish her work from the masses of other mediocre paranormal romance.

Check it out. It has my official seal of approval.

-Hannah

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...