Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Walking in the Shadows by Cassandra Giovanni

Walking in the Shadows
Title: Walking in the Shadows
Author: Cassandra Giovanni
Source: BOTM Review Copy
Format: Mass Market Paperback, 358 pages
Published: October 31st 2012 by Cassandra Giovanni
Author: Goodreads | Website 
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | Kobo 

Goodreads Synopsis:
Seconds seem like a lifetime when the life you lived is slowly drained out of you by those who care not what you felt, hoped, or dreamed. When the darkness comes it is all-consuming; there is no light and there is no pain. It is the never-ending loss of hope that now consumes me as I die in his arms.

This is Abigail Martin’s nightmare. After her parents become the first victims of a serial killer obsessed with the vampire saga, "Crimson Reign," Abigail does the only thing that she thinks will save her from her parent’s fate–she becomes some one else. As Vera MacIntrye, she falls in love with the very handsome Tad Knightley, and then walks into her first day at her new school to see him standing at the front of the classroom. He’s every teenage girls fantasy, but as he writes “Mr. Knightley: AP British Literature” across the white board Vera realizes the one person who filled the gaping hole in her heart will soon rip it wide open again.

Vera struggles to adjust to being a ‘normal’ teenager with very adult responsibilities like paying the rent, buying groceries and making sure that lights stay on, while being drawn time and time again back to her off-limits teacher. What’s worse is he is drawn to her too, and their worlds refuse to stay apart when Tad finds Vera screaming in terror in the parking lot after the winter formal. The murderer has struck again and is getting closer to the next target–Vera. Tad will do whatever he can to save her, even if it means losing his dream job, but will it be enough when the murderer is closer than anyone ever thought?

My Thoughts on Walking in the Shadows:
Don't let the cemetery angel freak you out of reading this great book as it almost did to me.
Let me tell you how FANTASTIC this book was!

I am beyond glad it won in my Goodreads Group of the Month poll. There is suspense, there is mystery and most of all there is romance. The kind of romance that makes you sigh with a little of envy that it's not happening to you and a little bit of awe because you can't believe how strong their love is and a little bit of sadness because you keep thinking that if they don't make it than no one can. You will feel a wide variety of emotions as you read this because it feels like someone just bared their whole soul out to you and your seeing everything that made them happy, sad, angry, everything. I felt like this was Vera. The Vera whose parents were victim to a vicious attack. Vera who had to get up and assume a different identity because the murderer is still at large. Vera the teenager who has almost no one in her life. You want to say "Aww Poor Vera", but she's so strong. She is able to keep a job, able to keep herself clothed, fed, and everything else a parent is supposed to do for a child. She isn't fighting some monster with her super powers but she's getting through one day at a time when most of would have crumbled under the grief of losing both parents at the same time. Of course, she also has Tad to help her through all this. Oh and as you come across Jaz, give her a chance. She's not as bad as you think. :D

Cassandra built up such a great mystery in Walking in the Shadows! I had so many suspects as to who it could be that it was driving me a little crazy trying to figure out who the murderer was. I had to suspect the obvious suspects but after some hints and clues I wold have to change my mind and start all over with intent and reason. Sort of felt like I was a detective in a murder case. I'm not going to lie, at some point I suspected everyone. I mean it could be anyone! Even now as I think about it I still chuckle remembering what was going through my head as I tried in vain to narrow it down to one suspect but couldn't.

Me complain about how this book was written or the plot or the way it flowed? NO! Cassandra obviously knows how to write one heck of a book and I would not in my sane mind would advise her to change a thing. Not one thing!

READ IT! NOW! Such a great book you just have no idea!
I've Rated Walking in the Shadows(5/5)
-Martha

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...