Sunday, January 20, 2013

Starflower by Anne Elisabeth Stengl

Starflower  (Tales of Goldstone Wood #4)Title: Starflower
Author: Anne Elisabeth Stengl
Source: Review Copy
Format:Paperback, 400 pages
Published: November 1st 2012 by Bethany House
Author: Goodreads | Website | Twitter 
Purchase: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository

Goodreads Synopsis:
When a cursed dragon-witch kidnaps the lovely Lady Gleamdren, Eanrin sets boldly forth on a rescue mission...and a race against his rival for Gleamdren's favor. Intent upon his quest, the last thing the immortal Faerie needs is to become mixed up with the troubles of an insignificant mortal.
But when he stumbles upon a maiden trapped in an enchanted sleep, he cannot leave her alone in the dangerous Wood Between. One waking kiss later, Eanrin suddenly finds his story entangled with that of young Starflower. A strange link exists between this mortal girl and the dragon-witch. Will Starflower prove the key to Lady Gleamdren's rescue? Or will the dark power from which she flees destroy both her and her rescuer?

My Thoughts on Starflower:
Ok I'll admit it I haven't read too many fae books, but when Anne contacted me and told me about Starflower I wanted to have NOW and find out what happens with Starflower and the most cocky Eanrin. I was in for a wild ride!

Although he is so much into himself (he carries a comb around with him!), and probably loves only himself most of the time he's a good guy. He helps Starflower even though he had just been tricked into helping the dragon-witch, he is still selfish though because he makes her help him first before taking her back to her people. He even attempts to be her Prince but alas he isn't one so instead he finds her one, I mean how much better could he be? Well ok a little but I don't think I'm complaining too much :D Lady Gleamdren, can we just leave her with the dragon-witch and leave it at that? Very annoying and even more conceited than Eanrin! Perfect that you will love to hate. Or that might just be me.

One thing I would've like was to learn Starflower's story from the beginning but it was at a great place when I did finally learn about her and what happened to her to come to be in Wood Between. I was very startled to realize that Starflower cannot talk. What is this crazy nonsense of the men of her tribe cursing with the inability to speak?! That drove me crazy (as well as Eanrin, I think) but it added so much to the story that after a bit I got over it because Starflower although not able to speak has her own beautiful language. Her story kind of broke my heart a bit. Basically made into an outcast by her people and the loss of two she dearly loves is not easy but she is strong.

Starflower, easy to say. Eanrin, and Gleamdren and every other fae name listed in this book not so easy. Fairy books are always so interesting because of the names and this is no different. Would I recommend? Yes! I'd even say to read it as a bedtime story for your munchikins. They'll, as well as you, will thoroughly enjoy Starflower and Eanrin's journey.
I've Rated Starflower(4/5)
Interview
I am so excited about today's Interview! I've interviewed quite a few characters but this one is on a level on his own and you'll see why!
Hello Eanrin, please have a seat * gestures at comfy seat*. Welcome to BooksBooks&MoreBooks. How are you?

I am very well indeed, my dear Lady Martha. *lounges elegantly in comfy seat and begins to purr* Many thanks for inviting me to BooksBooks&MoreBooks. It is such a pleasure, and you, m'lady, are a paragon of all the readerly virtues.

(Note from Anne Elisabeth: Be forewarned . . . Eanrin can be quite a flirt, and he might try to hit on you. Just saying . . . )

*blushes* Thank you Eanrin.
Would you happen to have any poetry you would like to share with me and my followers? *gestures at audience*

I always have poetry to share. Am I not the Chief Bard of King Iubdan Tynan of Rudiobus? The most renowned poet in the history of the worlds, both mortal and immortal alike? Here, let me demonstrate even now my brilliance. I will compose a series of rhyming couplets right off the top of my head! Attend:

Oh, Martha Fair, I love you,

Forever dreaming of you,

Queens of old could only dream

Their limpid eyes would ever gleam

So bright, so clear as Martha dear

The fairest flower of  . . . um . . . .

Pardon, my dear lady, but where are you from exactly? I don't actually know where to make you the fairest flower of.

*whole face turns bright red as she swoons*
Oh my! You are indeed the Chief Bard of King Iubdan Tynan of Rudiobus. 
*notices she had leaned toward Eanrin and sits back*
I am from a very far land but enough about me lets talk about you, shall we,
After what happened with the dragon-witch why did you help Starflower?

I must confess, dear Lady Martha, that I have often asked myself that same question. The situation with dragon-witch was so dire, and I was so embarrassed at having been taken in by her enchantments, I truly had no intention whatsoever of helping yet another seemingly helpless maiden lying in the Wood.

And yet, as much as I hate to admit it, even a cat must have a kindlier impulse upon occasion. And I saw that this girl--Starflower--had been cruelly bound. There were ropes knotted tightly to her wrists, chaffing so harshly that she bled. They had been cut, recently I thought, and she had obviously fled some awful foe. I should have left her behind. Indeed, I should have! I'll never quite know why I didn't . . . Mark it down as feline curiosity, I suppose!

Feline curiosity, eh? Tell me, why a cat? 
In the end, would you have changed anything? If so, what?

Well, for those of you who are unaware, I am a cat. At least, I am sometimes a cat. I am a Faerie of Rudiobus, and therefore I can assume animal shape if I wish to. And who wouldn't want to be a cat if one had the choice? *purrrs* When I'm not feline, I am, of course, tall, golden, well-formed, and devastatingly handsome. Trust me on this.

As to your other question . . . would I change anything? Would I go back and make a different choice? Leave that mortal girl where she was, sleeping away her enchanted sleep, and go on none the wiser and certainly far less hampered? Knowing what I do now, would I make a different decision?

No, actually. I scarcely believe myself, but if I had a chance to do it over, I wouldn't change a dragon-eaten thing.

*resists the urge to touch his beautiful* Oh I can believe it!
I'm glad to hear that you wouldn't change anything. 
One of my favorite parts (which also made me laugh) was when you found Starflower a prince to kiss so that she would awaken. What is one of your favorite parts?
One of my favorite parts . . . well, anything that did not involve me ending up soaking wet. I did spend rather a lot of this past adventure on the damp side. I enjoyed opportunities to demonstrate my poetic genius, of course. And--though this is just between you and me--I might have enjoyed my one opportunity to kiss a certain enchanted maiden. But, as I believe she'd be just as happy to forget that ever happened, I wouldn't go around declaring as much to just anyone . . .
*smiles* Tell me, Great Poet, do you blush often?

Oh, never! Why would I blush? I'm far too magnificent and confident, and so forth. Definitely not the blushing sort. No indeed.
Really? *cocks head to the side* Do you remember the first time Starflower smiled at you?
Certainly not! Why would I recall such a thing? Can't be bothered to keep in mind every little detail of this or that!
She was pointing out the starflowers to me . . . trying to tell me her name . . . .
But I don't remember that at all! And I'll have forgotten it completely by tomorrow!
*smiles* Of course, I'd forgotten that you are the one who causes us ladies to blush.
Can we expect to read more about you in the future?
*crosses her fingers behind her back in hope*
Absolutely. Both the narrator, who has been hard at work penning these tales and adventures, and the adoring readers of said tales (such as your lovely self) have declared me their favorite character. I don't mean to boast when I say this, but it is common enough knowledge! The narrator has even said that I am one of the few characters who will make at least a brief appearance in every novel she has planned. Not even Imraldera can boast as much!
Indeed, if you are curious to learn more of my upcoming role in the next adventure, you may read about me here: (http://dragonwitchnovel.blogspot.com/p/who-you-will-meet.html) That portrait doesn't begin to do me justice, of course. But what can one expect from mortal potrait artists?
You are certainly a favorite of mine. 
Of course you are much more handsome than the portrait.
*notices the time and saddens* Seems our time is over, Eanrin. Be sure that I will keep an eye out for your next appearance. 
Indeed, Lady Martha, it was a pleasure unparalleled. May the light of Hymlume shine softly upon your path, guiding you to abundant new reading pleasures and delights. And if you ever find yourself passing Rudiobus, do stop in for a drink and a dance!

Until next time!
-Martha

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...