Thursday, January 31, 2013

Divergent By Veronica Roth

Divergent by Veronica Roth


GoodsReads Synopsis:

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

Bobbi’s Thoughts:

I went into this book with zero knowledge about the story. All I was told was that it was semi-similar to The Hunger Game, which is one of my all time favorite series and that I would probably like it due to the main character being a chick. I love the heroine types :P

Off the bat I knew this was going to be an enjoyable read for me. I love the whole different society  and government with some conspiracy going on (sound familiar?) Veronica Roth, the author does a beautiful job in the beginning setting up the society making it east to understand that different factions and why one would choose one of the other. I found it fun to role play with main character Beatrice, or Tris as she changes her name later in the book, because Tris is any easy character to either relate to or imagine yourself being in her shoes. Honestly I think the concept of being able to relate to Tris or imagining yourself in the story is really what sold me on this story. Over the plot of the story you see Tris transform from a dainty little girl who in most cases was over looked to a girl who can take care of herself, conquer her fears and overall kick some butt!

The one but tiny tiny part that semi annoyed me was the love story between Four and Tris. While I absolutely loveeeeee Four’s character I felt there feelings for each other moved a little too quickly, but considering where the story goes I can see why Roth made the story line the way it is. I do hope in the sequel, Insurgent, there is a little conflict between Four and Tris. I feel it will add for an interesting dynamic :] Four’s character will easily become one of my favorite guy characters :P

Anyone who enjoyed The Hunger Games will most certainly enjoy Divergent. There are many similarities; different society and government, factions vs districts, quest for power, conspiracy, ect. Yet Roth was able to emerge her readers in an entirely new idea even with those similarities.

5/5 birdies Must Read!
<3 Bobbi

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...