Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Older Books I Don't Want People to Forget About

 
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!
 
This week's Top Ten is:

Top Ten Older Books I Don't Want People to Forget About

Martha was a tad too busy to do today's meme, so the top ten today are going to be all mine!!:) Most of my "older" books actually won't be that old. I haven't gotten around to reading the classics and oldies yet, so don't judge me!
 
1. Blindness by José Saramago - Blindness was first published in 1995. Do you know how incredible this book is? It was incredible enough to win the Nobel Prize. Yes. The Nobel Prize. Sadly, though, no one I know has even heard of it. WHY WOULD THE WORLD FORGET SUCH A MASTERPIECE!?!?!?
 
2. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield - This was a bestseller when it was published in 2006. I only just read it this year though, and of course the hype has since died down. But, really, The Thirteenth Tale is a fantastic gothic mystery. And Setterfield's only published work so far. Give me more, woman!!
 
3. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson - Of course, this was a bestseller when it was published in 1999. It was runner-up for the first ever Michal L. Printz award (the most prestigious YA literature award, fyi). And it even got it's own made-for-TV movie! I really don't want people to forget Speak...
 
4. Battle Angel Alita by Yukito Kishiro - I wrote a review of the first volume of Battle Angel Alita in September, and I gushed a lot in there, so you can tell I love this series. It was published in 1995, and it was really big, too. The series has since fizzled out; people don't talk about it much anymore. I'm hoping that'll be fixed in 2017 when James Cameron is expected to release his Battle Angel movie!! (<--Hyperventiliating, cos I'm so excited; I can't wait 5 years, I'll DIE before then!!)
 
5. Ouran Highschool Host Club by Bisco Hatori - This is only the best freakin' manga I've ever read. I love it!! I'm so sad that the anime was so short:( There are quite a few Ouran fans, so hopefully the greatness will live on!! *crosses fingers*
 
6. The Merchant of Death by DJ MacHale - This is book one of the FANTASTIC Pendragon series. I was so psyched when I discovered this series, I blew threw all ten books in 2 seconds! But it refuses to survive like Twilight and Harry Potter most likely will...why!?!?
 
7. The White Darkness by Geraldine McCaughrean - It's not so much that I don't want people to forget this book; I want them to discover it! It never was an uber-successful book. (I don't know why though; it's amazing!!)
 
8. The Road by Cormac McCarthy - I think when people think of The Road, they think of the movie; not the book. And while I admit, the movie is pretty spectacular, I don't want people to forget the incredible book that started it all!
 
9. A Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket - Ahhhh.....anyone remember The Series of Unfortunate Events? Yes? It was a GREAT series!! But people don't read it anymore, whyyyyyy????? *she whines*
 
10. Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden - I stumbled upon the Tomorrow series at my library by chance. And it was pure luck. I had never heard of it, I doubt many people remember this great series. There was an Aussie movie adaption in 2010. I think they're working on a sequel.....but trust me: Books > movie.
 

- Hannah

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...