Friday, October 12, 2012

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Title: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar ChildrenAuthor: Ransom Riggs
Published: June 7, 2011 by Quirk
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Thriller, Mystery
Reviewer: Hannah

Synopsis:

Jacob's grandfather has been telling him stories for as long as he can remember. Fantastical stories; from levitating girls to invisible boys and everything in between. And Jacob believed him for a time. But, like most people, he lost his belief in the mystical and magical. He grew up.

Then everything changes in one fateful night. Just before Jacob's grandfather dies in a tragic "accident," he leaves clues behind for Jacob to follow. Tormented for months following that night, Jacob finally decides to get it together. He makes a decision to visit the island where his grandfather grew up, where all of his stories took place. But there's something strange about the island. Could his grandfather's stories have been true?

Review:

Wow, that synopsis sucks. But whatever. I guess, before typing out my entire review, I should give some indication as to who I am. Hannah here! I just realized that it might be confusing for you to read an entire review thinking it was Martha, and then you get to the bottom and see my name and you're like, "What!?" Yeah, so....

My thoughts on Peculiar Children? Didn't like it. And that sucks, because I was so hoping that I would. I tried to keep an open mind while reading it (<--good philosophy for any book you read; get out some paper and take notes, class!). But I couldn't make myself like it.

It's probably due to the fact that I was reading Wintergirls simultaneously. And that was written in such a captivating and fascinating way that it made Peculiar Children seem borrrrring. *snores violently*

The very basic plotline of the book was good. But as for everything else--the romance, the fights, the general behavior of the characters, etc--was clich├ęd to death. Actually, the romance was pretty awful. I'm not going to get into the gritty details (as I don't like giving away unecessary spoilers--unless, of course, it's a rant review. But I rarely have enough steam at one time to write those), but suffice to say, it was kind of creepy, and completely unjustified. I hate it when in books the characters fall in love too easily. It's always, "Oh! I feel such a strong connection to you, Romeo!" "And I you, Juliet! Let's have a happy, goofy, indie-song montage and fall in love and get together and..." Yeah, I'm not going any further with that.

My views on authors writing romance (and filmmakers, now that I mention it): It's a rare author/filmmaker that can create a good romance. Most of the time it's, "Really? Really? Are you kidding me?"

And ohmygosh! When did this review turn into a romance-bash!? Back to the book: the writing style was dry and lifeless, resulting in my extreme boredom and lack of motivation to finish the book; the characters were not developed--like, at all. They were flat, wet pieces of paper that would crumble easily if put to any kind of test; and the ENDING!! My gosh, what kind of ending was that? You're not turning this into a series are you?! Whyyyyy?? You're just dragging it out unecessarily, thus decreasing the quality of each installment.

Ugh....not a great book. Started out fairly interesting, but then nosedived and crashed into lowest reaches of Hell and burned into a fiery, charred pile of a sad excuse for literature. (Okay, I'm exaggerating; it wasn't that bad. But then, I am utterly sick of mediocre books).  -Hannah

I've rated Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children:


  (2/5)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...