Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Blog Tour | Review & Character Interview | Return to Arèthane (The Elves of Arèthane #1) by Kelly Riad

Title: Return to Arèthane (The Elves of Arèthane #1)
Author: Kelly Riad
Source: Review Copy
Format: Kindle Edition
Published: May 30th 2012
Author: Blog | Twitter
Purchase: Amazon
Return to Arèthane (The Elves of Arèthane)


Goodreads Synopsis:
16-year old Emily has accepted her fate with each weakening beat of her heart, but after her best friend's brother and sister arrive in town and turn out to be more than what they appear, Emily's life is turned upside-down. When their friendship includes confronting wizards who harbor dark secrets and dancing with an elf prince, Emily discovers there are some things still worth living for.

My Thoughts on Return to Arèthane (The Elves of Arèthane #1):
I'm one for vampire and werewolf books, and dragons and witches, even fey, but elves is one creature I usually don't read about. Mainly because I haven't looked for any book that consist of elves. Now that being said I am going to consider this as my first elf book (because I can't remember if I have or have not read any thus far).

I had signed up for this blog tour because the synopsis grabbed me immediately, that being said when I received the book to read and review I had completely forgotten what it was about and simply dived in without knowing anything about it. Good thing I went in blind because I would've been expecting too much out of it. I was only 6% in and already I thought the book was great!

The beginning was intense, Emily is already acting as an adult to her childish mother and she's only 16 years old! Enter her best friends siblings, Jarrad and Kara. They seemed normal to both Emily and I but after a bit I started to note that no they were not as normal as they wanted people to think. Even though they were elves I thought they were very human even with the weirdness, but then again aren't we all varying degrees of weird?

This is one of those book that I've been so excited to read and so sad to have it finish. I'm the type of person that gets bored very easily and this book never had me bored. I found myself most nights staying REALLY late trying to get to a boring part to stop at so that I could go to sleep but instead I was confronted with what Daphne, Jarrad and Kara were or trying to figure out what was wrong with Emily that made her take medicine. There was always mystery, romance, adventure and many other things that would NOT allow me to put it down!

The descriptions were FANTASTIC! The author described it so well I literally thought I could see it in my minds eye. I could see the paintings in the castle and in Aerath's home and the gardens and the strange flowers that were native to Arethane. the author is brilliant in this aspect (then again she's brilliant in all the other aspects as well, in my opinion).

This is also one of those few book that I found nothing wrong with (except for a few grammatical errors here and there but nothing for me to take a bird away). I loved every part of it. The characters, although not all human, were very like-able and relatable in some form or another. There was no instant love at first sight from the MC, which happens too many times in books as well as no love triangle! This book for me was perfect!

READ IT! I was not disappointed and I'm pretty sure you won't be either.
I've Rated Return to Arèthane (The Elves of Arèthane #1):
(5/5)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I managed to interview some very incredible people  for you guys! Let's see who we have here, huh?!

Welcome, welcome Emily, Daphne, and Jarrad to booksbooks&morebooks! I am beyond excited to have you here with me to a little chat! How are all of you?
Dafne jumps in before Jarrad and Emily can open their mouths: We're all SUPER excited to be here!  Thank you so much for having us!
Jarrad:  Obviously my sister has been looking forward to this - she thinks she's a celebrity now. **Grins at Dafne**
Emily: Yeah, thank you - this is really cool.  Normally the only interviews I do are with the police after my mom's run her car through the line of shopping carts in the Target parking lot or something.
You're definitely A-list in my book Daphne! *grins*
All of you guys are really. *blushes a little wondering if they would autograph something*
I'm sure those aren't as fun as these, huh, Emily?
I have to admit that ya'll's story blew me away! From the very beginning I couldn't put it down!
Emily how does it feel to have elves as friends?
Emily: It was a bit freaky, at first.  Well, I guess really the not knowing was freaky.  You see all these shows about vampires and aliens and you kinda start to wonder, you know?  Especially when they aren't very good at hiding it. *Smiles at Jarrad, he returns with his contagious grin*
Jarrad: Over twenty-some odd years within the human world and never caught.  *Turns to Emily* I told you, I wanted you to catch me.
Emily:  Uh-huh.  Anyway, after the initial shock, it turned out to be pretty cool to have elves as friends. Slight headache - they can totally take it away.  Need to get rid of a pestering bully - elf spell to the rescue!
Jarrad: Enchantment...
Very true. 
Emily how did you manage to see the truth even though Daphne made you forget. And let me just say that I agree with Jarrad when he said you are very observant because I would've missed the blood on his shirt unless it was just so blaringly obvious.
Emily:  I think being around them, in such a close proximity, probably helped.  If Jarrad hadn't healed my hand and helped with my mom - which were all awesome things and knowing him so well now I know he's just too kind and caring to not help  - then maybe it would be different.  But really it was Karawyn.  She sort of blew the lid right off their cover with her whole ghost-walking act.
Jarrad looks at Emily:  I would blow my cover over and over for you. * *Kisses her cheek as Emily blushes**
Dafne:  And my enchantments aren't very good.  I'm not as developed as Jarrad.  If he had chosen to make Emily forget, she would have - he's that good.  You want him to enchant you? **wags eyebrows and grins**
*laughs nervously* As tempting as that sounds, no thanks. 
How is Karawyn handling being a married woman and being queen all at once, Daphne? And you Daphne, you were in one hell of a fight trying to get to Karawyn how was that?
Dafne *takes a deep breath*: The fighting was scary, but I think I was born for it, actually.  I grew up close friends with Baelemar - he's actually the general of our Army now - and he would train with me when I was an elfling.  It was pretty cool until you think about the loss of life.  But getting back our home was important and saving our sister was important so we just kept that in mind.  And Karawyn is LOVING married life, though she would never admit that openly.  She tries to be tough and indifferent, but she would do anything for Aerath and he for her.  She was trained to be queen from the beginning so  she is handling both very well.
Uh oh! These high school boys are going to have to watch out for you then! *confused look* Wait are you guys going back to high school? 
Yes she is perfect for the job. THEY are perfect for each other.
Dafne: I'm determined to graduate! So we will definitely be going back to high school. 
Emily **makes a sour face** I've tried convincing Jarrad we should just drop out. 
Jarrad: I told her her choices were to finish school or I'd make her one of those Teen Moms and she'd have to support me. *flashes his famous smile* Oh wait, that talk happens in the next book. 
Whooo Daphne! You get yourself that diploma! 
Emily if you drop out what would you do then?
Jarrad! *flashes shocking face while laughing* Would you be the lazy one who did nothing all day except play games or the one with the issues?
Jarrad: I think spending all day in a Laz-boy chugging beer is a commendable post-graduation job. And to clarify, I meant the conversation happens in the next book, not me making Emily a teen mom. 
Dafne: Spoiler alert, Jarrad! Geez!
Jarrad: Spoiler alert? *shakes head* You read too many entertainment magazines. 
Emily: To answer your other question, I think leaving behind a never-there dad and an alcoholic mom to live in Arethane is a pretty good drop-out plan. 
Jarrad *takes Emily's hand*: Just two more years, darling. 
Ahh yayyy! When can I expect the next book to come out?
Emily imagine prom with Jarrad.
Jarrad what went through your head when you first met Emily at the restaurant?
Jarrad: I felt like I knew her.  I felt this immediate connection and that I knew her, knew her soul and I wanted to take care of her, fix whatever hurt her, rescue her.  But then I also knew she wouldn't make it easy on me.  *Grins* And she didn't.
Easy is boring Jarrad! 
Emily how is your heart after all this? No more pills?
*Jarrad grins and winks*
Emily: No more pills! That's totally crazy, right? People die from this condition, kids my age die from this condition and somehow I lucked out, I was saved by these elves and their crazy, wonderful world!
They do seem to have their uses doing they. * winks at the elves while grinning* 
How weird was it to have Aerath lead the battle against his father? How was it for you guys?
Dafne: Looking back now, yeah, pretty weird but at that time, he was our best way to get our sister back. I think it was harder for Jarrad because he was older when everything went down between Aerath and Karawyn so he still remembered how she was after and he still held a grudge at first. But they get along now, better than I think either would admit.
Jarrad: I can't really imagine anyone more suited for Karawyn.  So as long as he doesn't hurt her again, we're fine.
Well guys our time has unfortunately come to an end. I am really looking forward to your next book! * leans towards Daphne to whisper* Do you have any cousins? *blushes while sitting up straight. 
Emily, Jarrad and Miss A- list herself, Daphne I have enjoyed our chat please do come see me when your sequel comes out.
Dafne:  Thanks SO much for having us--we elves have a lot of family *winks*
Jarrad: Thanks, Martha! It was such a pleasure talking to you.
Emily:  Thanks so much for the chat - this was so much fun! Bye!
*blushes a deep red*

Author Info:
Kelly Riad is from Texas where she lived with her husband and a house overrun by pets. She now lives in the San Francisco Bay area and is determined to bring the y'all to the West Coast.  While she published her first book - a handmade pop-up titled "The Lost Puppy" - in the fifth grade to much acclaim by the first graders, she only recently picked the craft back up. "Return to Arèthane" is her second published novel.

-Martha

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...