Saturday, September 22, 2012

Author Interview | Mindy Bolinger

Bonjour mes amis!

Today I interview Mindy Bolinger. Author of
 Wanted Nightmares: Battle for LoveWanted Nightmares: Immortal BloodHeartache of FriendshipLast Breath: Dealings with a VampireClaimedWanted Nightmares: A Fragmented Immortal Soul

Welcome, Mindy, to booksbooks&morebooks!
Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?
First off, thank you for interviewing me. I get all excited with an interview. Second off, please excuse my website to be so outdated. I have been busy.
A little more about me, I am totally obsessed with writing. Sitting on my laptop right now is about twenty different books, in different stages of being written.  When I have writer’s block, I go write something else.
I also love to write, actually on paper and I need a certain pen. I am picky with how I sit, hold the paper, hold the pen and if anyone can see me write. I can’t write when someone is sitting next to me. I seriously have OCD when I’m writing. I can’t have the TV on, since my living room is my office so my kids suffer. I give them breaks and I head to my room.
So no music for you as you write. I've had authors say that they are inspired by a song.
What inspires you to write?
Oh no, I love music and I do listen to it, if I am in the mood. OH MY, I am OCD! I don’t usually listen to music when I am writing,though when I need an emotional lift I turn the music on. I have put my music in different folders for different emotions.
          I also do a lot of paper writing,  until I find the right words, details and attitude, but I also do a lot of Mind scenes. I have to have major scenes down pat to keep the flow and tone correct.
Can you name one song that has helped you in the past with your writing?
Yes, May by James Durban.
I was reading that it took you some odd years to finish your first book. Can you tell me a little bit about that.
When i started writing battle, it was about the same time Twilight came out and after I read the book I had to go back an delete almost all of my work, I had to wait until I had read most of her books to start on mine again. So it took a lot of rethinking, planning and outlining and along with that I ended up with a gallbladder then six months later I also lost my stomach. It has taken a lot of work to to get wanted out.
Did you always want to be an author?
I have always known I love to write. Yes, I have always had the calling to be an author.
Your writing style describe it in 20 words or less.
Realism with flares of Paranormalism, Romanticism and touches of dramatic bursts of imagination.
From all your books who is your favorite character and why?
My favorite character will always be Amaya. Amaya is based off my daughter. She is a character that I have fined tuned. Ironic that I also have her morphed into another, Autumn. My daughter has a self produced a double identity so I wanted Amaya/Autumn to feature this. When I wrote Immortal Blood I was excited to show the double identity.
Who is your favorite author?
I don’t have a favorite author, I enjoy authors as Shakespeare, Poe, King, Austin, Meyers, and Smith. My readings are based on how I am feeling at the moment.
So what kind of mood are you in now? What are you currently reading?
I think placid. I’m reading BitterBlue right now. Although I have a case of vertigo so today, I have Paint Shop Pro opened and working on Book Covers. BTW, straining your eyes when you have vertigo does not help your condition.
I will definitely keep that in mind. *smiles*
What are your current projects?
I am working on a book called Claimed. Claimed is a book of magic, love, betrayal, and power. Rosemary finds the truth behind the lies when she meets her soul mate Ryan Morgan. There lives are twisted by deals and secrets. With each step Rose takes she finds more lies more deals more steps. The more I write I realize it just be another series.
Ooohhh sounds interesting!
DO you have any bit of advice that you wish someone had given you about writing, editing and publishing a book?
The writer has become the editor and publisher. The writing world seems blurred at the moment leaving the writer tending to all the steps of writing. A creative mind needs to step beyond a pen and paper and tackle editing and publishing.
Editing is a very detailed process. The steps of editing is proofreading, editing, revising, proofreading, and so on. I don’t think editing ever stops. There are ways to help in this daunting process. Turn on all the checklists you can in your document. Ms Word does catch a lot of errors, but be weary it’s a computer program. I use a backup document checker, Ginger it! Is not a free program but anyone can google for help. There are free grammar checkers online, they work to help catch errors. Use what you can to help you in your editing. I found that I go back within each chapter and re-read/revise when I finish so I still have a fresh scene in my mind with the emotions that you want to show. Get your details down. I use a key document. I have from the chapter titles, names of characters, details about them. I also start writing the outline and form the theme or reason the book. It helps keep your mind clear and focused. It’s easier to have a text doc thinned on the side of your screen with details as hair, skin etc. than you rereading and finding you have messed up.
Publishing, or  E-publishing seems to be the only way unless you want to pay thousands of dollars for someone to do a job you can do yourself. Make a timeframe/key/outline for it all. I would spend your time writing and editing so when you epublish it will be smoother. Make sure you heighten your readers and start drawing in a following. Marketing is a major part. Book covers, website, social media are a major part of the marketing. Get your audience before you finish the book, free chapters, details of your characters. I write from nine am until I go to bed, usually around 11pm. I’m updating, editing marketing or actually writing. I also do my own book covers so its three to four days working on book covers.
Is there anything you'd like to say to your readers and your future readers?
Thank you for the support. It’s never easy to show your dream but it’s worth the emotional wave that you ride. One day I hope to support your dream.

Want to learn more about Author Mindy Bolinger and her books?
Here are some links:

-Martha

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...