Monday, August 6, 2012

The Moon Dwellers by David Estes

The Moon Dwellers (The Dwellers, #1)Title: The Moon Dwellers
Author: David Estes
Format: ebook, 360 pages
Published: June 30th 2012 by David Estes
Source: Review Copy
Author: Website | Goodreads | Twitter 
Buy: B&N | Amazon |

Goodreads Synopsis:
In a desperate attempt to escape destruction decades earlier, humankind was forced underground, into the depths of the earth, creating a new society called the Tri-Realms.

After her parents and sister are abducted by the Enforcers, seventeen-year-old Adele, a member of the middle-class moon dwellers, is unjustly sentenced to life in prison for her parents' crimes of treason.

Against all odds, Adele must escape from the Pen and find her family, while being hunted by a deranged, killing machine named Rivet, who works for the President. She is helped by two other inmates, Tawni and Cole, each of whom have dark secrets that are better left undiscovered. Other than her friends, the only thing she has going for her is a wicked roundhouse kick and two fists that have been well-trained for combat by her father.

At the other end of the social spectrum is Tristan, the son of the President and a sun dweller. His mother is gone. He hates his father. Backed by only his servant and best friend, Roc, he leaves his lavish lifestyle in the Sun Realm, seeking to make something good out of his troubled life.

When a war breaks out within the Tri-Realms, Tristan is thrust into the middle of a conflict that seems to mysteriously follow Adele as she seeks to find her family and uncover her parents true past.

In their world, someone must die.


My Thought on The Moon Dwellers:
I received Moon Dwellers in exchange for an honest review.

Mind you this is the first book I've read by this author. For being the first it certainly lived up to expectations I'd had. I could not and would not put this book down. That's how incredible it was!

The characters are stupendous, especially Adele! A take charge, bum kicking, sarcastic heroine who reminds me of me in some aspects. One thing I really liked about Adele was that while she did wallow in her misery for a while she did get out of that funk and went and rescued her sister and dad. That shows not only courage but love. Tristan was get interesting for me because he wasn't the typical bad boy who knows how to do everything for himself. He was a son of a king where his best friend was his servant. True he could fight but other then that he was too much a kings son to really be able to do anything else other then witness first hand all the things his father was doing to the dwellers. Which is when he became my hero. He saw the new his father was making and decided to help change that. That is when my respect for him grew in leaps and bounds. I have to give him
The one thing that really stuck with me was their determination. Adele was determined to make her situation better, Tristan was determined to leave his father behind. It's probably going to sound corny but that really stood out for me. Determination is something we should all have.

The living underground with the sort of three cities ruled by one man who only rules with blackmail and false promises intrigued me. I've read a ton of books and I have never come across a book like this. Democracy is only an illusion in these three cities. They say that a person who doesn't want to be a ruler is usually the best option and in this case is... well let's just say that I'm very excited to see how this saying pans out.

Favorite part? Hmmm... without spoilers it's going to be hard but here goes: the part where Tristan and Roc (his best and only friend/man servant) meet a very cannibalistic old woman. Did that pique your interest? There was only one part I didn't like. Tristan having never met Adele before goes after her. With just one look feels something so strong that he decides to go look for her. Maybe, it's just me not believing in love at first sight sort of instances but that part to me wasn't believeable.

Overall, I would most definitely recommend The Moon Dwellers to you. I, myself, am excited for September which is when book two is supposed to come out. I really want to see what happens with Tristan. Does he help in the uprising? What about Adele? Does she find her mother??

I Rated The Moon Dwellers (4/5)

-Martha

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...