Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The White Oak (Imperfect Darkness #1) by Kim White

The White Oak (Imperfect Darkness, #1)Title: The White Oak (Imperfect Darkness #1)
Author: Kim White
Published: Published April 9th 2012 by Story Machine Studio
Format: ebook, 200 pages
Source: Story Machine Studio, Netgalley
Author: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter
Buy: B&N | Amazon

Goodreads Synopsis: 
In The White Oak, the first book in the Imperfect Darkness series, Cora Alexander is pulled through a sinkhole and enters the underworld still alive. Her living presence threatens the tyrannical rule of Minos and the Infernal Judges who have hijacked the afterlife and rebuilt it, trapping human souls in a mechanical, computer-controlled city that lies at the core of the earth. To survive, Cora must rely on her untrustworthy guide, Minotaur, an artificial intelligence. She is helped by a mysterious voice, and by Sybil, underworld librarian and author of each person’s book of life. When Cora’s own book is destroyed, Sybil gives her a golden pen and sends her into the City to begin writing her own destiny. Along the way, she reunites with the ghost of her dead brother, Lucas, a genius programmer who alone is capable of finding the chink in Minos armor. This fast-paced adventure begins, and ends, in the middle of the action; introducing the characters, themes, and mysteries that find their resolution later in the series.

My Thoughts:
I have never in my life read a book quite like this. And I've read many a books in my lifetime. Greek mythology meets Modern day technology to create an incredible journey!

The White Oak delivered a unique telling of mythical creatures, Greek mythology, mixed in with technology, family, death, and so much more. From the beginning this book had me on the edge of my seat waiting to see what else would happen to Cora. The judges especially had been thoroughly spooked (read it to find out why).

Cora goes through so many unique adventures that I'm pretty sure many of us would never even dream of. All the creatures she meets, the souls she comes across and the places she goes to left me speechless. Cora is confused, tired, and all she really wants to do is back home with her brother unfortunately there are things she must do first before any of these things can be considered. I don't think any of us would have fared as well as she did were we in her shoes.

The book an eerie quality that I just loved which also added suspense to Cora's journey throughout the Underworld. Adding a little bit of Lucas' POV as well as Minos' gave a little extra umph to the story. Through these two we learn who the nemesis is and even a hint as to why they want Cora so badly.

Not only was I never bored but I never felt that there was anything lacking in the plot, or the characters or the way it flowed. I literally have no complaints about this book (weird). Read this book! Most of you will end up with this face --> O.o I know I did!

I've rated The White Oak: (5/5)

-Martha 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...