Friday, May 11, 2012

Article 5 by Kristen Simmons(Article 5 #1)

Article 5 (Article 5, #1)Title: Article 5
Author: Kristen Simmons
Rating:


Goodreads Synopsis:
New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren't always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it's hard for her to forget that people weren't always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It's hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.

Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.

That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings—the only boy Ember has ever loved.


Teasers:
"Losing your family...it puts fear in a different perspective," he said. "Besides, I got by all right. I stayed on the fringe around Chicago, happens around tent cities and Red Cross camps. Worked for some people who didn't ask questions. Avoided caseworkers and foster care. And though about you."


A line of blood stained his fingers down around to his palm.
"Your hand!" I exclaimed.
He stared at the ground, intentionally avoiding my scolding glare, like a child who'd been caught stealing.
"I'm f-f-fine. You can g-get some more sleep." Even his throat sounded as if it were glazed with ice.
I crossed my arms over her chest and raised my brows expectantly.
He stretched the fingers with a wince.
"I got in a fight," he said with a small smile. "With a tree," he added when he saw my distress.
My eyes widened. "I guess you lost."
"You sh-should have seen the tree."

"You hit me for kissing you. It seemed in my best interest to marry you while you were passed out."

My thoughts:
I am speechless with 'Article 5'. In a world where people have to live my moral statutes Ember's mother is a single free spirited mother. So when they both get separated, Ember doesn't loose hope that she'll escape from "rehabilitation" and find her mother. Except things never go the way we plan them.

Ember's resilience was one of the things I really admired. She always kept the hope alive that she would meet up with her mother and they would try to get their lives to what they were somewhat. Her love for her mother helped her through everything she endured.
Please keep in mind that I do not condone lying, but I understand why Chase did what he did and maybe didn't say what he should have (doesn't mean I would have gone about it the same way). I also understand that when you love someone so much that you'll do anything to keep that person safe and away from harm at all costs, even if you're risking your own life.

This is how I ended up...minus the glasses.
I think Ember did grow a lot from that little school girl who thought she was stronger then her mother to a girl that learned how to stand up for herself and rely on her own wits other then someone else's to get out of tight situations.

Once I started this book I couldn't put it down (of course I had to because it was already past 3 in the morning), which is what I liked so much about this book. It had be wanting very much to stay up all night (morning?) to finish it. I recommend this book to everyone!

Want to read it? You can find it here:
Amazon
B&N

-martha :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...