Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent (Divergent, #1)3.26.12

Synopsis:
Choose between five different groups of people (factions), that is what Beatrice has to do. You have to choose one group after living your first sixteen years in your family's faction.

Each faction works hard at one particular virtue. You have Candor who cultivate honesty, Amity who cultivate peace, Erudite who cultivate intelligence, Dauntless who cultivate bravery, and Abnegation who cultivate selflessness.

At the age of sixteen, Beatrice along with other sixteen year olds are given a test that will help them make the choice between factions. Only she doesn't completely fit into one particular faction as others are. Beatrice learns about herself, fear, and most of all how different she is and whether that is a good thing or a bad thing in the world she lives in.

Review:
I have read tons of books over my many years of having my face in a book and I have not read a book that is quite like Divergent ( I'm going to take the risk and say that it is a bit similar to The Hunger Games series in the way people live in separate groups). Beatrice is a young girl who doesn't exactly know who she is (do any of us really though?) but she is willing to take a leap and try to figure that out. She felt like such a real person because she struggles through all those crazy stages that we all do, life in general , death, choices, love, friendship, etc. I enjoyed the journey she makes in this book. She isn't afraid to face her fears. She has the courage to change when others cant seem to do it. She is dauntless, but she also has a bit of all the other four factions in her, which just adds to my liking her (why only be one great thing when we can be many great things?). She proves that  small girls can do big things in a big world.

Tris (she changes her name) is also a rebel even if she herself either doesn't want to own up to it or doesn't actually realize which I though was awesome because why conform to how society wants you to be instead of being the person that you truly are. The suspense is there and breathing oh so softly in the back of your mind, throughout the book, for Tris never knows if someone will catch her in the biggest lie that she's made (I don't condone lying, mind you).

She meets Four (yeah trying figuring out what his name means) who is continually there throughout the initiation helping her keep her secrets. I did see the true identity of Four from five miles away (you guys probably did too), it was so painfully obvious that I was not even a tiny smidgen shocked.

Awesome Quote:
"Abnegation is what I am. It is what I am when I'm not thinking about what I'm doing. It is what I am when I am put to the test. It is what I am even when I appear to be brave."

Overall I really liked this book because it sends a strong message of being yourself and not giving into your fears. I have given this book
  beautiful birdies. The end kept me wanting more (I am certainly and most assuredly going to look for the sequel...as soon as I get done with the books I have sitting on my bookshelf). Seriously though, if you haven't read this book, read it.



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...